Wood-burning pizza ovens are a fantastic way to liven up your backyard BBQs. In this article, we’ll show you everything you need to know about using and maintaining a wood-fired pizza oven.
If you read until the end, you’ll also find some mouthwatering pizza dough recipes to try at home!
How to Clean a Wood Burning Pizza Oven
To avoid pizza absorbing a foul smell or taste, you’ll want to clean your wood-fired pizza oven regularly. You can maintain that lovely, smoky taste with a bit of maintenance and cleaning.
The tools you’ll need are a large brass wire brush, a cloth, water, and vinegar. You can also use a half-moon shaped copper wire brush for more detailed cleaning.
The first step is to sweep the flue with the brass wire brush. Sweeping should remove the soot and blockages from the wood-burning pizza oven.
Then, you’ll want to remove the ash with a shovel and a brush. If there is debris that won’t come off with the brush, you can use a knife or scraper to remove it.
Finally, remove hardened food and grease stains with a cloth soaked in water and vinegar. After rubbing off the stains, use water to rinse the substance away. Periodically check for cracks in the dome, which could result in heat loss while cooking.
How Long to Preheat a Woodfired Pizza Oven
Preheating Woodfired Pizza Ovens requires a bit of preparation time. For the best results, you should start your oven 2-3 hours before cooking. Also, be sure to use a pizza stone, which creates the classic Neapolitan-style pizza.
When you’re preheating your oven, also be sure to use high-quality hardwood. Avoid pine or other types of softwood that could release chemicals.
Wood Burning Pizza Oven Recipes
When you’re making a pizza in your wood-burning pizza oven, make sure you place the pizza close to the flame. Also, rotate the pizza as you cook to ensure it’s cooked evenly on all sides.
Here are some pizza recipes to try with your wood-fired pizza oven:
Easy Pizza Dough
- 1 kg flour
- 600 ml of water
- One packet of instant yeast
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 25 g salt
- Combine the water and yeast until the yeast has dissolved.
- Gradually mix the flour with the water mixture.
- When the mixture forms a dough, add the salt and keep kneading until it’s smooth and elastic.
- Add olive oil, and continue kneading.
- Let the dough rise for 2 hours, then divide the dough into six balls and wait for them to double in size.
- Stretch the dough, add toppings, and bake!
Ultimate Veggie Pizza
- One batch of pizza dough, pre-made or hand-made
- 1 cup of pizza sauce
- 8-12 ounces of mozzarella cheese
- 2 cups sliced mushrooms
- 2 cups baby spinach
- ½ cup of your favourite bell pepper, cut into slices
- ½ cup yellow onion, cut into slices
- Optional extra toppings: parmesan cheese, red pepper flakes, and basil leaves
- Preheat the pizza oven for 2-3 hours
- Spread the pizza sauce over the pizzas, forming a thin layer. Follow by sprinkling the cheese and spinach.
- Top the pizza with mushrooms, bell pepper, onion, and any other desired toppings.
- Bake the pizzas until the cheese is melted and the crust is golden. It should only take a few minutes if using a pizza stone.
- Remove pizzas from the oven, place on a cutting board, and add any garnishes. Slice, serve, and enjoy immediately!
We hope this article helps you enjoy your new wood-burning pizza oven from Goldline. If you have any questions about our products, don’t hesitate to give us a call at (03) 9799 9660.